<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 27, 2007

It's a quarter to three, there's nobody in the place here but me...

Im in a bar, some anonymous bar somewhere downtown in the back end of a side street, one of those bars you hear about but never think to go in. Yet here I am sat at the bar, not quite yet slooped down behind the neon beer signs. I'm on my 4th or 6th scotch, Louis Armstrong on the stereo but I'm getting my ear chewed off by 'Raphael', 2 stools down, who seemingly has no home to go to. I'm half-heartedly flirting with the waitress, haven't eaten in 2 days and barely slept in twice that. My heart isn't sufficiently mended to be have been rebroken so soon and I realise I shouldn't be here.

I also realise, in a bit of a flash, I'm actually not here at all. No, I think I'm in a Tom Waits song.

Finally. I've 'made' it. And it feels.....

Bad.

So, I resolve to do what all his antiheroes do sooner or later. Get a car and just drive.

I'm going to see if I can get to the Atlantic tomorrow, just point the car east and put my foot fucking down.

Because I shouldn't be in this dark drinking hole in Quebec or in this distant continent at all right now. Monday, yes. Next year and beyond, most definitely. But right now I should be somewhere else. It's just that I can't be where I'm supposed to be - and I can't quite believe it. So I'll go as far as I can, to the bit that left Britain and Ireland behind rather longer than a year ago.

And when I get there, I'll ask it if it was such a good move.


Tom Waits - Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years

Buy buy!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? It's not? Oh! Interesting

eXTReMe Tracker