<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The reporter on NPR, some weird-named Ivy-League type, yesterday put forward a theory about Jeff Buckley that he predicted his own death through drowning in a lyric to So Real

" ... And I couldn't awake from the nightmare
That sucked me in and pulled me under
Pulled me under
".

A preposterous suggestion, of course.

Here is a list of other water and death imagery in his lyrics that clearly show Jeff had no idea what would happen...

Mojo Pin
"Don't wanna weep for you, I don't want to know
I'm blind and tortured, the white horses flow"

"Precious, precious silver and gold and pearls in oyster's flesh
Drop down we two to serve and pray to love"


Grace
" There's the moon asking to stay
Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
Well it's my time coming, I'm not afraid to die"

"
Oh drink a bit of wine we both might go tomorrow"

"
And the rain is falling
And I believe my time has come
It reminds me of the pain I might leave behind..."

"
And I feel them drown my name"


Lover you should have come over
" Looking out the door
I see the rain fall upon the funeral mourners
Parading in a wake of sad relations
As their shoes fill up with water
And maybe I'm too young"


Eternal Life
" Eternal Life is now on my trail
Got my red glitter coffin, man, just need one last nail"

Dream Brother
"Asleep in the sand with the ocean washing over..."

The Sky is a Landfill
" Circle around the park
Joining hands in silence
Watch the evil black the sky

The storm has ripped the shelter
Of illusion from our brow"

"
We cast our funeral rose inside
And bury the need to prove"


Everybody here wants you
" I know the tears we cried
Have dried on yesterday
The sea of fools has parted for us"


Opened Once
"Just like the fiction
Rushing in your riverbed"

"
Just like the ocean
Always in love with the moon
It’s overflowing now
Inside you"


Nightmares by the Sea
" I’ve loved so many times and I’ve drowned them all
From their coral graves, they rise up when darkness falls
With their bones they’ll scratch the window, I hear them call"

"
Stay with me under these waves, tonight
Be free for once in your life tonight"


Witches Rave
" I float just like a bubble
Heading for a spike"


New Year's Prayer
"
Stand absolved behind your electric chair, dancing"

"
Leave your office
Run past your funeral"


Morning Theft
" Your eyes and body brighten
Silent waters, deep"

"
A heart that beats as
Both siphon and reservoir"


Vancouver
"Now, smell the rain of London it still insists
That we beg for our purity
As if we are pure in the rain of our contentment
As if I can think of this no more."

You and I
" You and I
Ah, the calm below that poisoned the river wild
You and I
Tears that dry on a rude awakened child"

"
If we had only known
In a way
We’d never reach this ground"


I rest my case



|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? It's not? Oh! Interesting

eXTReMe Tracker