<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

8am. My alarm goes off and I reach down to stop it. But it's not where it should be, so I'm forced to open my sticky, prickly eyes and grab around with my numb fingers. Turns out it's sitting next to a writing pad, on which I've written this single line.

"That's odd", said God

Well put, the Lord.

It is odd. My unconscious life has always had a soft edge of near-realism to it, ever since I can remember - which would be when I was three and woke to find myself out of bed, taking a piss into the waste-paper basket in my bedroom. On the plus side, I didn't need a poo. I've done my fair share of walking as a child and talking as an adult, usually complete gibberish (as I say, always had a touch of the nearly real) which is all very well and good and normal. Apart from an occasional lucid dream or the infrequent, inexplicable, massive scratches over my face or body nothing that noteworthy has taken place in a while. Certainly I don't expect to be taking notes in the physical world whilst im doing things like wallowing in my muddy hippocampus.

But I sleep with a pen and paper by my bed, just in case I wake and actually have something to write that's worth... um...y'know.

Not that it happens too often when I'm awake and inspired. So imagine my surprise and delight and shock and surprise again at waking up this morning to discover this message. Of course, I have no idea what the dream was about, if indeed the message was accompanied by one. I'd love to know though

It's the third time this month, in fact. Normally if something comes to me in a dream and it's powerful enough to be written down in my sleep, it's a gag or some kind of jokey thing that i've somehow heard and found amusing, yet when I wake the next morning, regardless of the context of the dream it came in, it's normally of the order of

"Cheese bananas"

Which, unless you're in the dream at the time, is not by any objective standards actually that funny. Though I suspect that's where many of a comedian's shittest jokes come from, held onto by the steadfast and gloriously misguided belief that if it worked on the dream audience, it'll work on a real one. Eventually.

But a few weeks ago I dreamed I was IM'ing the daughter of a friend of mine (don't even...) but in the dream we didn't actually have computers so were writing to each other using pens and paper and our messages were coming up on each others pads like automatic writing. Sounds spooky but it wasn't. Now I don't remember the conversation but I did wake up to find i'd written this:

"R we on R beneficial tip"

And then last week, I awoke to discover this elaborate, food-related 'joke' that must've had them bursting their gall bladders with laughter in my dream:

"I just feel like cabbage has a way of ruining my sex life, y'know?"

-What sex life?

"Exactly"

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? It's not? Oh! Interesting

eXTReMe Tracker