<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bloc Party have just released their new album and i'm listening to it as I write this. There are plenty of people on the internet who can tell you what to think about it, that's not why I'm here. I was just struck by the lyrics to the opening track. Apparently inspired by a Brett Easton Ellis novel (although how anyone can be inspired by his work is up for debate), it sounds to me more like they were inspired by a certain International Man. Note the explicit references to the brand of cigarettes, drug of choice, locale, the last two words of the song and of course the complete desire to forget the 1980's.

Song For Clay (Disappear Here)

I am trying to be heroic
In an age of modernity
I am trying to be heroic
Because all around me history sinks
So I enjoy and I devour
Flesh and wine and luxury
But in my heart I am lukewarm
Nothing ever really touches me

At Les Trois Garcons, we meet at precisely 9 o’clock
I order the foie gras and I eat it with complete disdain
Bubbles rise in champagne flutes, but when we kiss I feel nothing
Feasting on sleeping pills and Marlboro Reds
Self-pity won’t save you

Oh how our parents suffered for nothing
Live the dream like the 80's never happened
People are afraid to merge on the freeway
Disappear here

We stroll past the queue, into the magazine launch party
I am handed a pill and I swallow with complete disdain
Kick-drum pounds, off-beat hi-hats, remember to look bored
We suck each others’ faces and make sure we are noticed
Cocaine won’t save you

Because East London is a vampire, it sucks the joy right out of me
How we long for corruption in these golden years

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? It's not? Oh! Interesting

eXTReMe Tracker