<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, December 04, 2006

This hasn't happened in a long time but I've noticed a definite apartheid on my playlists. I've also noticed a profusion of music blogs where supposedly hip young things (what are they doing on the internet then?) offer their thoughts and mp3's on a variety of reasonably decent music, mainly centred around Sufjan Stevens it must be said. I wanted, briefly, to join in on this phenomenon. But rather than go full strength into such an endeavour with passion and commitment, I thought just for a change i'd do it in my usual half-arsed way.

So, inspired by recent events and by friends who make excellent, eccentric compilations I'm compiling a disc of tunes I can't actually listen to. Perhaps when I can, i'll know im *over* it... But you can go right ahead, though if you're in the middle of things with someone don't blame me if connotations get attached while you do. They're not all sad, not at all. But they all have that thing. Click the tunes to share my pain!

1. Salif Keita - Yamore
2. Fat Freddy's Drop - Flashback
3. Peter Gabriel - Open
4. Basement Jaxx - Feels Like Home (just tried listening to this, failed miserably)
5. Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Vega
6. Ampop - My Delusions
7. Joseph Arthur - Innocent World
8. Van Morrison - Slim Slow Slider*
9. Kate Bush - Sunset
10. Fat Freddy's Drop - Del Fuego

Bonus Track:Sunhouse - Lips

Hidden Track: Geoffrey Oryema - Lapwony

*actually the whole of Astral Weeks and all of Veedon Fleece too. Not surprising really, since Astral Weeks is about how two young people in the first throes of love utterly fail to make it last, and Veedon Fleece was recorded straight after Van's divorce!

There's also an 'embarrassing' top ten which for the hell of it, i shall list too. Funny, maybe, but just as painful if not more so because such mawkish, manipulative fondue music shouldnt elicit such heavy tears. Anyway...

1. U2 - With or Without You
2. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
3. Coldplay - Warning Sign
4. Jose Gonzalez - Hand on your Heart
5. John Legend - Ordinary People
6. Otis Redding - Cigarettes and Coffee
7. Matthew Sweet - You don't love me
8. Michael Hedges - Woman of the World
9. Prince - Condition of the Heart
10. Tracy Chapman - For You

Some cunt in marketing would sign off this post with 'What's YOUR embarsassing weepy tune?' as if the client gave a monkeys, but I shan't do that. That's not to say a comments box full of such admissions wouldnt warm the cockles of my winkle....

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? It's not? Oh! Interesting

eXTReMe Tracker