<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

im in the middle of making my supper, baby octopus curry, and a thought just came to me which won't let go:

If Octopus has roughly the same intelligence as a Cat, as biologists now say, doesn't that mean i'm making a Kitten Curry?

I looked down at the pan to see these strange grey aliens sizzling away but in my mind I saw kittens, cute furry kittens, covered in the hot sloppy gravy.

I'm not that pleased with myself to be honest. I've always made guesses at what the level of consciousness is of any particular organism - it had long been my contention that fish have the same awareness as celery so it was fine to eat them, but of course they don't. I used to think that any animal that can't walk, swim or fly backwards is fair game for the pot. And of course, anything with a really tasty bum, anything from a nice King Prawn all the way up to the Brazilian Women's Football Team, all of them could easily find themselves on my griddle.

But these sea-kittens are starting to really change my belief-system. Perhaps i should try eating Catfish, as they do or did in the Deep South, so that I'm more accustomed to the idea?

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? It's not? Oh! Interesting

eXTReMe Tracker