<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 13, 2004

i don't have to speak for any of the competitors (unlike, perhaps, the Special Olympics) but i for one WILL be on drugs for the duration of the Games.

I was living in a country not dissimilar to France for the last lot and, true to form, they showed a remarkable amount of sporting action involving french competitors. There is also no such word as 'neutrality' in the french sports commentators dictionary. Fine. Go fucking nuts over a big fat farmer-boy winning the judo. But please, for the love of god, don't cover Steve Redgrave making rowing history even if it IS at a most hostpiable time of the evening.

Oh shit, i forgot - i'm too cool to care about sport. Really I am. Still, for those rare moments when the herd gets its way and erases my better judgement, it matters.

Now i'm in Ireland, i'm wondering if they share the British distaste for any kind of passionate sports reporting. I'm also wondering if they'll be cheering for themselves and booing at the Brits? And maybe the Yanks this time too? Maybe they only cheer for Catholic countries? Or those oppressed by the British? Or those that don't send their poor and desperate to Ireland in search of safety and a job? Or those with a nice bit of green in their flag?

Whatever the answer is , I shall not be finding out because as I think I just said, I'll be watching on drugs.


|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? It's not? Oh! Interesting

eXTReMe Tracker